Saturday, October 29, 2016

A Grand Ol' Time

Remember my last update, when I said that it seemed everyone seemed to be feeling better?

It seems I spoke too soon.

The boys' health seems to be going back and forth. One seems fine, the other vomits, then diarrhea, then they swap again.

And to top it off, we only brought enough clothes for maybe two weeks under normal circumstances. So, we've been doing laundry pretty much every other day now.

In fact, yesterday, Ethan vomited at night, but seemed better in the morning. However, that morning, while Asher was sitting in my lap, he vomited on my pants. We then decided to stop by a nearby laundromat, and just after the load was done washing, Asher suddenly over-filled his diaper, again while sitting in my lap.

Sadly, I can't even say that was the worst diaper I had to change so far. Every time I think I've seen the worst possible diaper, the boys find some way to out-doo themselves. Pun intended.

This has indeed kept the trip... eventful. It's also made it pretty difficult to keep track of the days. Not that this is my only excuse for another late update.

We also were out of cell service while staying at the Joshua Tree National Park.


Camping here felt like stepping into an oversized bearded-dragon terrarium.

I can finally say I've been to a desert. And, within minutes of entering the park for the first time, I saw a tarantula... which I promptly ran over. We also saw some small lizards, birds, insects, kangaroo rats, some flying thing that kept buzzing our heads and squeaking at us (most likely a bat, it was dark), big round rocks in piles that looked like giant droppings, cacti and of course, the Joshua Trees.


Here's a picture of Meredith taking a picture of a Joshua Tree. Possibly the weirdest tree I've ever seen.

After staying there a couple nights, we headed northeast. We took a brief detour through Route 66, where we paid $25 for 5 gallons of gas and saw a lot of trains, which Ethan enjoyed. However, we must have missed most of the historical sites, as most of the road was deserted.

We then crossed the border to Arizona and stayed the night at a Wal*Mart before making the trip to the Grand Canyon, where I am currently sitting at a lodge, enjoying the free WiFi while typing this post.


I took a picture of it first, for your viewing pleasure.

So, I suppose that brings you all up to speed. I had better head back to camp to relieve Meredith of the boys, so until next time, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment